Thursday, July 10, 2014

Geromino! The TARDIS lands at the Library - A Whovians Club Adventure

When I started the Whovians Club, my first thought was that it would be really amazing to have a TARDIS big enough for the teens to get inside.  My second thought was that i am crazy.  How would I ever be able to pull that off?  I talked to the teens and asked if it was something they would want to try to create.  They definitely wanted one, but I think we lacked the skills necessary for such a large scale project.

Tabling the project, I turned my attention to smaller activities.  Each month we made props essential to Doctor Who.
Duct Tape Fezzes
Polymer Clay Sonic Screwdrivers
Duct Tape Dalek
Dalek Party Hats
 But...What we really needed was a TARDIS!

Enter my very talented family..  Constructed out of a wooden frame and cardboard, a TARDIS was created!  It is in 3/4 scale of the original.

The Details:
The door does open and you can go inside.
The windows are made from Dollar Store picture frames and hot glued to the cardboard.
The Police Box font is Gill Sans.
The color is Valspar's Satin Indigo Streamer. 
It breaks apart into two pieces to fold for storage.
It is not bigger on the inside.

To celebrate the arrival of the TARDIS, I thought it would be fun to take pictures with it.  I found cardboard picture frames and we decorated the outside with a TARDIS stamp.  I made the stamp out of fun foam. 
Simple, easy way to make your own stamps!

Building the TARDIS was A LOT of work!  I had to learn how to use tools!  There are a few things I would like to eventually add to it..  It would be awesome if it had a roof with a light.  And it would be fun to decorate the inside.  But I am very happy with the finished product.  It was definitely a labor of love.  I am a big Doctor Who fan and it was fun to bring something I see on television to life.  I loved hearing the squeal when I opened the door to our program room and they caught the first glimpse of it.  It made the whole process worth it!

Some pictures of the TARDIS...


 The teens (and their parents!) had a great time posing in the TARDIS.




Thanks for stopping by!








5 comments:

  1. You are crazy creative! These are amazing activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Miss Kristie, I am working on a Doctor Who program for my library, and I would really love to know if you have printables or instructions for the duct tape fezzes and the Dalek party hats you mention above? Thanks in advance.

    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - looks like a great program. I, too, would love to have a master to use to print out my own dalek hats (for my son's birthday." Please let me know. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry I am so bad at answering comments! I created my own Dalek hats through Microsoft Word. I will post a template on this blog asap. You are more than welcome to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HELLO! I know this post is a few years old, but I am planning a Doctor Who event at the library I work at and would love to get the template for the Dalek hats if you still have it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete